If you struggle to read a newspaper or magazine, why not listen to one instead?
Now anyone who has difficulty reading a newspaper or magazine can keep in touch with all the local news and enjoy many popular magazines.
What is a Talking Newspaper?
It is a local newspaper or magazine recorded every week in our studio using the latest digital recording equipment. Over 100 volunteers, split into teams, prepare and record extracts from all the local papers and many popular magazines onto DAPs (Digital Audio Plugs) which are sent out weekly to hundreds of local service users to listen to in the comfort of their home.
What does it contain?
Each DAP contains a selection of all the local newspapers and many popular magazines including: Lancashire Life, Best of British, Radio Times, Which Consumer, Health and Wellbeing to name but a few. Each DAP usually contains around 8 hours of listening.
Who can receive a Talking Newspaper?
The service is available through N-Vision to blind people and people with low vision living in the Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre area. We may also consider other individuals with specific needs who would benefit from a Talking Newspaper.
How much does it cost?
Our weekly service is currently free, however there is an initial set up fee. We give each listener a special digital speaker and send a newly recorded DAP every week. The return postage is free.
Here’s what some of our listeners have to say:
“Far better and easier than struggling with a newspaper.”
“Best of all are the friendly voices which brighten my day.”
Now anyone who has difficulty reading can keep in touch. Why not take the local Talking Newspaper?
Local Newspapers – weekly:
- Searchlight – magazine and information issues
- Gazette – local news covering weekly issues
- Lytham St Annes Express – news articles from the Fylde area
- Fleetwood Weekly News – news articles from the Wyre area
- Weekend Papers – news from several weekend papers
- The Week – weekly news from home and abroad
- Sport Report – covering all aspects of sport throughout the week
Magazines – monthly:
- Lancashire Life – articles from the popular county magazine
- Best of British – a look back on British traditions and events
- Lancashire Magazine – published every 2 months looking at local issues
- Short Stories – brief, but interesting stories that last no longer than 20 minutes
- Ladies’ Choice – covering a whole range of ladies issues
- History/lifestyle – published every 2 months looking at the past and present issues
- Women’s Magazine – another popular ladies’ magazine
- Which Consumer Magazine – the consumer magazine giving you tips on many day-to-day products
- Info sound – updated news for blind and visually impaired people
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/users/85200404″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”335″ iframe=”true” /]